Friday, May 22, 2009

Why Do We Remove Wisdom Teeth?

Last week we saw a patient who had been experiencing soreness in some of her back teeth. About a year ago we saw her and recommended she have her wisdom teeth removed. She told us she didn’t see why they should be removed if they weren’t bothering her. We explained all of the possible problems involved with most wisdom teeth (see previous post “Wisdom Teeth“) and showed on the x-rays the way that hers were growing in at an angle that could possibly damage the other teeth.

Needless to say, nothing was done about these wisdom teeth. A year later she has returned in pain. When we took the x-rays we found that her wisdom teeth had continued to grow forward and had caused terrible damage to the teeth just in front of them. The damage was so bad that we couldn’t save the wisdom teeth or the ones they had grown into. So instead of removing a few wisdom teeth very easily, we had to do a very lengthy surgery in order to take out 6 teeth!

The moral of the story is…get your wisdom teeth checked if they have never been removed. If your dentist recommends removal to avoid other damage, please do it! You don’t want to be in a situation where other teeth are affected. The process is so easy. You basically go to sleep and when you wake up, everything has been done.

We offer completely free consultations and x-rays if you are concerned about your wisdom teeth. Please just give us a call or shoot me an e-mail if you have questions!

Dr. Heap

480-892-1711

7 comments:

Blake said...

I agree if it's bothering you, then have it removed. It is better to remove it earlier because it is more expensive to fix crocked teeth. cosmetic dentistry Richmond

Gary said...

We have to remove it because it can affect other teeth. Get some information from Kauai Dentists

Negi said...

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.


Cosmetic Dentistry Danville CT

Unknown said...

When you remove the wisdom teeth and feel the pain in your jaws after an year, it might be the most difficult time to go through. The point to note in the story is if you have never removed the wisdom teeth, get them checked now!

- Best Denturist in Glasgow

Unknown said...

I just found out that I am going to need to get my wisdom teeth taken out. I know that it is a very common thing that people have to do, but I have always wondered why do they need to get taken out? This article was super helpful in answering my question.


http://www.coredental.ca/services/cosmetic/

Anonymous said...

I have been procrastinating and putting off getting my wisdom teeth removed for as long as possible. One has been growing in sideways, and I'm worried that it has already been pushing into one of my other teeth. I finally made an appointment to get an xray, so I'm really hoping for good news! I'd hate to have to get more than just my wisdom teeth removed. http://www.dcdental.com.au/cosmetic-dentistry/

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this write up. It's been awhile that i have been thinking to remove wisdom tooth. I searched for dentzz review to get the best treatment. I am really concerned about my teeth and want to go through and know as much before taking the big decision.