1. They are super-thin. Not much thicker than a contact lens! This is important because it means that as the cosmetic dentist, I don't have to grind away as much of your natural tooth to achieve a dramatic result.
2. Color Change. Even though veneers are so thin, we can use them to completely change the color of your teeth. Even the most yellow teeth can be masked out and transformed into bright white.
3. They Can Look So Real. In the past, veneers tended to be very monochromatic. You got one color for the whole tooth. But natural teeth don't look like that. Natural teeth tend to be a little darker near the gums and a little transparent near the tip. In between they can have any combination of colors. These color variations are what make veneers look real. Dentists who work with the right dental labs can recreate these color changes in the porcelain. We can usually pick out someone who has poorly-done veneers because the teeth just look fake. White...but fake.
4. Shape Change. With porcelain veneers we can completely change the shape of a tooth. Many people have chipped or worn down their teeth over the years. Others have teeth with gaps between them. Many people's teeth are crowded. All of these issues can be fixed with veneers less than 1.o mm thick!
5. Confidence! I can't tell you how many of our patients come back after having their veneers done and tell me that they catch themselves smiling so much more. Having a smile you can be proud of does wonders for your self-confidence. I have had patients claim that their new smile has helped them get raises at work, ask out girls they never would have before, and live a happier, more fulfilling life. It is amazing!
So these are a couple of reasons why I love porcelain veneers and smile makeovers. They can look so real and they can change your life. This is the truly rewarding part of my job. When people ask how I can look in people's mouths all day, I tell them that its because later I get to see people's smiles all day.
P.S. - I always do completely free smile analysis and consultations. Even if you just have little details about your teeth that you don't like, come see me. Sometimes we can improve a smile drastically without major dental procedures.